Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Muslim Fashion Designer

When people think of Islamic clothing, especially women's clothing, most probably envision black burkas or some other form of all-concealing outerwear.  Nailah Lymus, however, has a different perspective.  She is an African-American fashion designer from Brooklyn, New York, was raised a Muslim and still considers herself devout.  She has recently launched her "Amirah Creations" line of clothing, with Muslims in mind. If you read the NPR article, I think you will be surprised at the diversity "Muslim clothing" can entail.

3 comments:

  1. So can I be opinionated? I like this article because it does make Muslims more fashionable, yet respectable. I personally think they might look at this as westernizing and the radicals would have a field day over this. But all in all, I think that Muslim women are very attractive and the fact that they respect themselves and others by wearing what they wear and covering what they do makes it even more attractive. There is something about hidden beauty that is intriguing and mysterious. That in itself is so cool. So as far as a Muslim line of clothing, I say bring it. Why not, if a Muslim woman wants to wear this then she should. I think they look pretty neat and am glad that someone is creating a line of clothing with Muslims in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I when I read the first line of your post I laughed a little bit. My girlfriend and I were talking about this class actually and she expressed that she was mildly jealous of Muslim girls because they have so many ways to accessorize, and a great excuse to buy so many cute scarves. Then she said "it would be so cool if someone came out with a fashion line directed towards Muslims." I'll have to tell her that its been done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this article is very interesting because it shows that there is a way for Muslim's who may want to 'fit it' more to do so while not compromising their beliefs. I think that it is a great thing for there to be a Muslim line of clothing. While I don not necessarily think that it should be necessary, I also think that modern society it so that people feel that it is necessary to change their appearance to 'fit it' which I definitely think is not the best thing.

    ReplyDelete